Blogs > Gordon: My Back Pages

Gordon Glantz is the managing editor of the Times Herald and an award winning columnist.

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

I Will Remember You

I could not let today -- April 21, 2009 -- pass without noting that it is Holocaust Remembrance Day.

As someone who -- in another time and place -- would have carted away, whether or not I was religious or not, this day always had personal meaning.

But it seems to have more impact this year and I need not pay a therapist to unearth the reason.

It is because of Sofia and how much my wife and I love her with every ounce of our beings.

I can't even wrap my arms around the concept of the helplessness of trying to protect a child who someone else deems unworthy to exist.

I think of a lot of people on this day, but I'm mostly thinking of the parents -- parents who watched their children die in front of their eyess, parents who tried to survive for the sake of their children and died in fear of what would become of them, parents who sent their children to live in hiding with others without knowing what the ominous future would bring.

The goodbyes had to be the most painful in history of humankind.

And it's something to which every parent could relate, regardless of who and what you are.

If you are reading this right now, please take a moment to remember. Take a moment to hold your children -- and your parents -- a little closer.

Shalom.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Lonya said...

This is why we love you. You made me think, cry and want to be a better person.

April 21, 2009 at 12:38 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do remember "The" War. The Master Race it was called and we can never let this type of government take hold in any country again. As much as we try to turn the other cheek, it truly is not the answer all the time. Replace hate/revenge with love.

Shalom

April 21, 2009 at 3:45 PM 
Blogger tlees2 said...

Very moving, Gordon. I cannot watch SOPHIE'S CHOICE. Would you believe the head of Iran choses this day to go on his rant in Geneva.

April 21, 2009 at 6:13 PM 
Anonymous Maria said...

Shalom.
Nothing else needs to be said.

April 22, 2009 at 9:25 AM 
Anonymous Roberta said...

Shalom means goodbye, hello and peace.
A blessed goodbye to the victims, hello to a future of peace between nations.

April 23, 2009 at 12:37 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's deep, Roberta. Next, you can tell us what bonjour means.

May 12, 2009 at 10:12 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Father's Day G2! Shalom to all Fathers and their families.

June 21, 2009 at 10:16 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home