Blogs > Gordon: My Back Pages

Gordon Glantz is the managing editor of the Times Herald and an award winning columnist.

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Jesus Is Just Alright

Are you really keeping "Christ" in "Christmas" if you are mispronouncing "Christ" each time you say "Christmas" while thinking you are so clever?
Kidding! (well, sorta)
OK, in light of all the bickering with some in the readership, I'll get more serious. Maybe we can even find a path to mutual understanding (but don't go there with this "dreaming of a white Christmas" stuff, as the forecase is already wreaking havoc with my plans for the day).
Based on historical accounts, Jesus was a cool guy. And I can say, with certainty, that he would have been a Democrat (maybe an Independent who voted Democrat).
I don't believe all the supernatural stuff, just like I don't believe that Moses parted the Red Sea.
I think stories get told, over the generations, to the masses in a certain way that they stick. Just like Hollywood does its "based on a true story" thing, the writers -- and re-writers -- of the Bible have done the same. Because many people up until recently in human history were illiterate, much had to be acted out -- or drawn up by artists -- to get these stories across. While it adds to the beauty, not to mention the drama, reality may have suffered.
I'm not saying for sure. I'm an agnostic, remember? Just putting it out there in the universe as food for thought.
A friend of mine -- who is as "Christian" as they come (and I mean that, in this instance, in a good way) -- caught wind of all of my self-imposed heat and sent me this "letter" to pay forward to you.
I was going to run it as a letter to the editor, but we like our building not up in flames.
Nonetheless, even if you disagree (I'm not down with all of it, but it still brought tears to my eyes), give it a read first.

LETTER FROM JESUS ABOUT CHRISTMAS

It has come to my attention that many of you are upset that folks are taking My name out of the season. You want to know

how I personally feel about this celebration! I really don't care what you call the day. If you want to celebrate My birth, just GET ALONG AND LOVE ONE ANOTHER. Now, having said that let Me go on. If it bothers you that the town in which you live doesn't allow a scene depicting My birth, then just get rid of a couple of Santa’s and snowmen and put in a small Nativity scene on your own front lawn. If all My followers did that there wouldn't be any need for such a scene or protest, because there would be many of them all around town. Stop worrying about the fact that people are calling the tree a holiday tree , instead of a Christmas tree . It was I who made all trees. You can remember Me anytime you see any tree. Decorate a grape vine, if you wish: I actually spoke of that one in a teaching, explaining who I am in relation to you and what each of our tasks were. If you have forgotten that one, look up John 15: 1 - 8. If you want to give Me a present in remembrance of My birth here is my list. Choose something from it and be the light on the hill.

1. Instead of writing protest letters objecting to the way My birthday is being celebrated, write letters of love and hope to soldiers away from home. They are terribly afraid and lonely this time of year. I know, they tell Me all the time.

2. Visit someone in a nursing home. You don't have to know them personally. They just need to know that someone cares about them.

3. Instead of writing the President complaining about the wording on the cards his staff sent out this year, why don't you write and tell him that you'll be praying for him and his family this year. Then follow up... It will be nice hearing from you again.

4. Instead of giving your children a lot of gifts you can't afford and they don't need, spend time with them. Tell them the story of My birth, and why I came to live with you down here. Hold them in your arms and remind them that I love them.

5. Pick someone that has hurt you in the past and forgive them.

6. Did you know that someone in your town will attempt to take their own life this season because they feel so alone and hopeless? Since you don't know who that person is, try giving everyone you meet a warm smile; it could make the difference.

7. Instead of nit picking about what the retailer in your town calls the holiday, be patient with the people who work there.. Give them a warm smile and a kind word. Even if they aren't allowed to wish you a " Merry Christmas " that doesn't keep you from wishing them one. Then stop shopping there on Sunday. If the store didn't make so much money on that day they'd close and let their employees spend the day at home with their families

8. If you really want to make a difference, support a missionary-- especially one who takes My love and Good News to those who have never heard My name.

9. Here's a good one. There are individuals and whole families in your town who not only will have no "Christmas" tree, but neither will they have any presents to give or receive. If you don't know them, buy some food and a few gifts to give them.

10. Finally, if you want to make a statement about your belief in and loyalty to Me, then behave like my word says. Don't do things in secret that you wouldn't do in My presence. Let people know by your actions that you are one of mine.

Don't forget; I am God and can take care of Myself. Just love Me and do what I have told you to do. I'll take care of all the rest. Check out the list above and get to work; time is short. I'll help you, but the ball is now in your court. And do have a most blessed Christmas with all those whom you love and remember :

I LOVE YOU,

JESUS




18 Comments:

Anonymous Not Karl With A K said...

Maybe there is hope for you yet, Glantz!
I'm putting down my torch now!
Wishing you and yours and happy one!

December 21, 2010 at 11:26 AM 
Anonymous Germany said...

Stop trying to understand something you don't understand. Go back to writing about what a moron W. was. Better yet, go back to writing sports. Legion coverage has been atrocious since your day.

December 21, 2010 at 12:38 PM 
Anonymous Seth said...

You a ship lost at sea.
Not wanted by the Christians.
Not Jewish like me!
LOL!
It's cool. I think I catch your drift.

December 21, 2010 at 12:40 PM 
Anonymous Indigo Girl said...

"You a ship"????
Is that Jewish talk or Ebonics?
I don't know why I bother with you people.
Beautiful blog, Gordon. It's in the spirit of the season.

December 21, 2010 at 12:48 PM 
Anonymous Seth said...

Maybe I'm a black Jew like Sammy Davis Jr.

December 21, 2010 at 12:49 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe you are just a dope.

December 21, 2010 at 2:29 PM 
Anonymous Howard Laskey said...

Maybe you are all dopes. What the heck is going on here? Get back to the point of the article. The dude was right on, man. Right on. Jewish or Christian or whatever, he gets it. Other people with trees and reindeer horns sticking out from their Japanese cars don't.
I have just about had enough of this. You are all crazy.

December 21, 2010 at 2:34 PM 
Anonymous Deanne said...

Nice way of putting it Howard. I give it a 4 for poetry but a 9.5 for heart.

December 21, 2010 at 2:36 PM 
Anonymous Kimmie said...

All I know is that I can't wait for Jan. 2. The stupidity store closes for another year.

December 21, 2010 at 2:37 PM 
Anonymous Indigo Girl said...

LOL! You go, girl!

December 21, 2010 at 2:37 PM 
Anonymous Pierre said...

Gordon, what you don't know about God and life could fill a book the size of the bible.
What you think you know could fill two books.

December 21, 2010 at 3:11 PM 
Anonymous Kimmie said...

Oh, and you know it all, right?
People like you are the reason Christ is not in Christmas!

December 21, 2010 at 3:14 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is just someone else claiming they speak for Jesus and using Gordon of all people as a vehicle.

December 21, 2010 at 7:54 PM 
Anonymous Ron said...

Wow, anon, brilliant analysis!

December 22, 2010 at 7:42 AM 
Anonymous Patsy said...

Wiping the tears away as I read.

December 22, 2010 at 12:13 PM 
Anonymous Chip Chip said...

Patsy, don't be such a patsy!

December 23, 2010 at 10:40 AM 
Anonymous Melting Pot said...

Very Nice!
Merry Christmas.

December 24, 2010 at 9:47 AM 
Anonymous EllenE said...

That was a very nice read. It doesn't matter what religion you are, basically a lot of different ways to say get out of your world, look at what's going on around you, give to those who don't have, be kind to others, etc. I especially like the one about visiting a nursing home- if that isn't ever a place that needs some good cheer, I don't know what is...

January 4, 2011 at 8:26 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home