Blogs > Gordon: My Back Pages

Gordon Glantz is the managing editor of the Times Herald and an award winning columnist.

Monday, October 18, 2010

Brilliant Disguise

This week, on "Football Friday" (www.timesherald.com), I wore my No. 91 Andy Harmon jersey. Harmon was a hard-working, underrated defensive lineman who made the most out of being sixth-round pick from Kent State (you know, the school where students were gunned down for daring to protest an unjust war).
Admittedly, I bought this shirt at a low point in my maturation an adult (even though Harmon was a solid player; an AP All-Pro in 1995 and the team's all-time leader in sacks for a defensive tackle). There was a mental recession in Gordonville. Seeing no black people wear the jerseys of white players, I was determined to get the jersey of the best white player on the team. Sad, but true. Blame it on the O.J. trila and the L.A. riots.
I got over it -- grew up and moved on, just like I hope many of you tea baggers do once this current craze reveals you as dupes under another's thumb.
But back to football.
Despite this shameful stigma, my Andy Harmon jersey remains a semi-regular in my regular rotation. Unlike others I refuse to wear, Harmon -- via a knee injury in 1997 -- ended his career with the Eagles.
Once someone leaves -- like overrated sacred cow, Reggie White -- their jersey should become Kryptonite for any true Superfan.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Brian Lutagini said...

Andy Harmon was a good ballplayer. No shame in wearing his shirt.
He was better than the Springsteen song you are using as the title.

October 18, 2010 at 12:06 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Forgot all about him. He was a nice player. A shame about the injury.

October 18, 2010 at 12:38 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home