Blogs > Gordon: My Back Pages

Gordon Glantz is the managing editor of the Times Herald and an award winning columnist.

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Breaking Up Is Hard To Do

Well, the Golden Era of Temple football has gotten tarnished in a hurry.
Al Golden, perhaps biting off more than he can chew, is headed to the homeland of my people to be the head coach of the Miami Hurricanes (I would have said Miami U., but that would be implying that it's actually a university) to be the head coach (hope they are as patient with his game-day Tom Foolery as we were).
On the heels of getting snubbed for a second consecutive bowl bid, it was the knockout blow following the jab.
All I ever wanted was to have an alma mater who won more football games than it lost each season, with a chance for a league title and minor bowl game as a reward for being a big fish in a small pond.
Well, the fish of reality swam up and bit me -- and all those who feel the same way -- on the arse.
Golden is gone, and the winning records here are soon to follow. The Owls will be OK next year. There is a sound returning nucleus, so my wife could probably coach them to seven or eight wins, but a slow and steady decline to familiar surrounding is soon to follow.
It's not like a surprise I guess. Having Golden here was like dating a hot chick who is out of your weight class. Sooner or later, she is going to give the old: "I need to grow as a person. It's not you, it's me. I hope we can still be friends."
I get it, but ... did it have to be now -- right before the prom?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Carrie said...

Poor guy. You'll meet someone else and move on.
It's only a game.

December 19, 2010 at 9:09 AM 
Anonymous Weed the Seed, said...

Temple Schmemple. Go Bird!

December 19, 2010 at 4:40 PM 
Anonymous Weed the Seed said...

BirdS!

December 19, 2010 at 4:40 PM 
Anonymous Pierre said...

So you now you have new guy to take you to the prom? Good luck.

December 23, 2010 at 12:04 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home