Blogs > Gordon: My Back Pages

Gordon Glantz is the managing editor of the Times Herald and an award winning columnist.

Monday, October 10, 2011

Limelight

If you are still frustrated about the Studio Centre movie studios filed in the burgeoning phone-book-sized volumes of recent Norristown missed opportunities, fret not.
A movie -- "Silver Linings" -- was being filmed today on the grounds of the Norristown State Hospital.
It must be a big deal, because it stars Bradley Cooper. While I wouldn't know Cooper if he walked up and punched me in the nose, I'm told he is a big star with Montgomery County roots.
The plot of the movie is apparently that of a former teacher, Cooper, who comes home to live with his mother after spending time in a mental institution.
I wish the makers of the film would have reached out earlier. If they wanted to tape a scene in a real live nuthouse, we could have taken care of them here in our newsroom.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Quick question....did you think that using the word "nuthouse" in an article about an inpatient mental health facility was a wonderful choice of words?

One of the many great parts about America is our freedom of speech...which also includes the right to be offensive, insensitive, and politically incorrect (usually while trying to be funny...but sometimes, just sometimes for no other reason than just being offensive, insensitive, and politically incorrect.

I've used the term...heck, I'm guessing that in my 59 years on earth I've used a vast variety of "terms" (many of which could make a pirate blush)...but not in print....no, not in print.

While I have no doubt that you used the word to describe your work environment...by using it you also described you.

Our freedom of speech gives us the right to offend others...and gives others the right to say that they've been offended. "Nuthouse"?

November 3, 2011 at 7:45 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home