Blogs > Gordon: My Back Pages

Gordon Glantz is the managing editor of the Times Herald and an award winning columnist.

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

The Morning After

Even though we all saw it coming -- perhaps as long ago as the friggin' Iowa caucuses (what the bleep are they anyway???) and certainly after the practical joke pulled by the Democratic Rules Committee last weekend -- Tuesday night's results were a bitter pill to swallow.

But once it was digested, the taste really didn't linger the way I thought it might.

I listened to Hillary speak and intermittently made jokes about the less-than-photogenic people positioned behind her, cringed at some of her remarks and got choked up from other pronouncements that still made me proud that she is who I backed in a losing cause (kind of like any Eagles' season that we all know will end without a ring).

Then I listened -- with somewhat different ears -- to Obama. As always, some of his remarks caused my normal caustic shouting at the television that elicited verbal skirmishes with his semi-naive followers in our newsroom. But other parts of the victory speech gave me, dare I say it, h-h-hope for ch-ch-change.

With or without Hillary Clinton on the ticket, I almost see no option but to now move slightly to the left -- with my breath held -- and back what I still can't help but see as a long-shot bid to end eight years of GOP dictatorship.

After midnight, as I drove home through the late spring rain, I listened to some Steve Earle (his last CD is pure genius) and thought on it some more. Somewhere between Norristown and Whitpain -- East Norriton, I suppose -- I felt almost a sense of relief.

The first thing I saw when I reached home was my HILLARY FOR PRESIDENT sign on the lawn. I saw that differently as well. It now becomes a relic. A keepsake for my daughter; something to show her when I say she can be anything she wants to be -- even president.

I'll keep it up for a few more days -- maybe until Hillary makes her next move -- and then put away in the attic with my ... Kerry/Edwards sign.

And then I watched some FOX News, where I've been secretly running to enjoy Obama-bashing ceremonies the last few months, and the process of coming to my senses continued. The bashing suddenly seemed blatantly unfair again.

They replayed an interview with GOP candidate John McCain, who looked and sounded every bit like a man at the end of his political career.

And although I believe Obama is way early in his ascent as a national politician to be aspiring for the White House -- and although I still believe Hillary, of the three who had the fortitude to stick out the full primary season, is at the right point -- the junior senator from Illinois may be a better way to go than a very, very senior senator from Arizona.

Obama will need to surround himself with the right people and make it clear to the voting public who will be in his administration, beyond the vice president, and he needs to acknowledge that enter this next race out of breath from limping across the finish line just a step or two in front of Clinton.

These were my thoughts as the right-leaning pundits on FOX babbled.

Feeling ready for a rare good night's sleep, I turned off the television -- with Sean Hannity still smirking at me -- and hit the sack.

A short time later, I had an election-related dream (I'm weird like that) and awoke to pouring rain. Sofia, who almost always sleeps through the night, started to cry. I went down the hall and rocked her back to sleep. In my haze, the obvious thought that some things are more important than political elections (and selections) coincided with her falling back into a deep slumber.

When I awoke after 10 a.m. Wednesday, the rain had stop falling and the sun fought its way through the clouds.

I went into Sofia's room and she popped up in her crib, like a pop tart, and smiled at me. She didn't care that her daddy backed the losing horse. I was still her daddy.

Life will go on.

I don't like playing on the losing team, but it's nothing new. After my wounds heal, I may slowly become as passionate for Barack Obama's cause as I was for that of Hillary. If I did it immediately, it wouldn't be right or real. That's not what I like to think I'm about. It took me a while to get stoked about Hillary and -- if it happens at all -- it's going to be the same way now. You'll know when I'm ready. Just keep on reading and I'll keeping on writing.

For those of you who thought I would become McCain supporter, I'm sorry. You were probably reading more into my angst about Obama's free magic carpet ride, courtesy of the mainstream media, than necessary.

At my lowest ebb, after fellow Americans were cut into halves last weekend, the thought temporarily crossed my mind. Then I saw one of McCain's commercials and almost got sick to my stomach.

Deep down, I have the soul of an Independent, but this country puts Independents in the cheap seats of its political arena and I'm too into the game -- right or wrong, right or left -- to not be up close and personal.

Try not to take it personally.

I just don't see America the way the Republicans do. I am unbelievably bitter at the Democratic party, and Hillary's legacy may be that changes will be made in the very flawed process of picking a nominee, but I'll try stay loyal a little longer and see if they can stop screwing this thing up.

The dawn brings a new day and a new battlefield. If you need time to pick a side, take it. It may be the most important decision, as a voter, you'll make.

Just do what's right -- even it means veering left.

28 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, Hillary is not the chosen. She will make it very hard at the convention, if her will is not done "stomp", "stomp." Please, think again, if you are thinking she is the best VP candidate. TROUBLE down the line if that takes place. I'll keep reading and listening - our reps. to the convention should do the same.

June 4, 2008 at 3:09 PM 
Blogger tlees2 said...

Gordon,

Your thinking is similar to mine - we must end the stranglehold the Republicans have on the executive branch. I would have supported Hillary if she'd won the nomination. I will support Obama now that he's won it.

June 4, 2008 at 3:58 PM 
Blogger Montco PA Dem said...

In the end, there's plenty of common ground and common goals between Clinton and Obama.

I'm telling you, November is going to be a very good month. Glad you'll be along for the ride.

June 4, 2008 at 6:24 PM 
Blogger Walter Greason said...

You guys missed the boat in February. Just now owned up to your mistake, and in the process you've used your front page to further embarrass yourselves.

On the historic occasion of Barack Obama's victory in the Democratic Presidential Primary, you listed the event at the bottom of the front page. At the top, you continued a travesty in updating a sensational murder trial.

Gordon, Stan, and all of the Times Herald staff, you should be deeply, deeply ashamed. There are many times I have questioned the journalistic merit of your publication since I became a subscriber. Today is the first time I am seriously considering a demand for a refund for the remainder of my commitment.

Dr. Walter Greason, Ph.D.

June 4, 2008 at 6:55 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh no, not you, too!

June 5, 2008 at 8:02 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What boat did they miss. The Obama Love Boat? And they missed it all the way back in February? Why February? Oh, that's when the media handed Obama the nomination.

June 5, 2008 at 8:05 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my previous post was directed at Gordon, not Walter Greason. As for my Mr. Greason, what is your phd in? Whining and about winning? We, part of the majority who voted for the candidate who had the popular vote, are the ones with grievances!

June 5, 2008 at 8:07 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr. Greason your frustration is justified and understandable but it is not a reason to cancel your paper. It doesn't rise to that level. And good luck actually asking for a refund. An apology and more Obama coverage than you'll want or need in the coming months is the most you can expect.

June 5, 2008 at 8:32 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They had been following the trial all along? Were they to change all of a sudden? Would you care if the person on trial was white?

June 5, 2008 at 9:11 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr. Walter Greason, Ph.D, The Times Herald is a LOCAL NEWSPAPER and what is of interest to most in the Norristown Area, should take on the Headlines. NATIONAL/STATE interest should be next. I'm sorry your schedule does not permit you enough time to read the balance of the newspaper - there are many, many articles that will keep you up-todate on the NATIONAL/STATE issues if you have not had your fill with the nightly news coverage.

June 5, 2008 at 10:58 AM 
Blogger Montco PA Dem said...

I don't want to say anything that will get our host in trouble, but anyone looking for a refund should do some googling on the state of Journal Register Co. finances. Definitely not good.

I hope whoever ends up owning these newspapers can give them a better website!

June 5, 2008 at 1:48 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You mean one with searchable archives like everywhere else in the free world?

June 5, 2008 at 2:27 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

cry babies!

June 8, 2008 at 6:58 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Montco PA Dem., Please check all publications before you signal out just one and on any given day/week/month that is not doing very well - that's how the market is, get use to it and enjoy our "Times Herald" which has been around many years (longer than you are old) and has survived very tough times. I do hope you do not speak for the Democratic Party when you make comments as you did on 6/5. You actual sound like "Chicken Little" in a way, because the sky is not falling on the "Herald"... Thank You!

June 8, 2008 at 3:42 PM 
Blogger Montco PA Dem said...

I really don't want to have this conversation, Mr. or Ms. Anonymous@3:42PM. Just go to my last post (June 5, 1:48P) and click on the part that's blue and reads: "Definitely not good." It is linked to a newspaper article with all the background my message was based on.

Yes, of course the Times Herald has a long and proud history. And I agree, all print products -- including books and magazines -- are hurting. But the ownership of the Times Herald (which also owns virtually every other daily newspaper in suburban Philadelphia, too), has hurt this paper badly since acquiring it.

And if there is a business model under which this paper will continue to live, it will have to include a much better web product than what the Times Herald offers today. That's what I said in my last post, and that's what I'll continue to say. And I say it, incidentally, exactly because I do like this newspaper and what it means to Montgomery County and because I want to see somebody come in here and run it like they love this paper and this area, too.

The present ownership (not the editorial staff, mind you; the ownership) has never, ever run things that way.

June 8, 2008 at 5:18 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right On, Montco Pa Dem! Just don't confuse the ownership with the staff because they are probably totally disconnected from each other.

June 8, 2008 at 7:21 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let's go back to making fun of Walter Greason. I want to know what his so-called doctorate is in. Any guesses? We have time. He is still waiting on that refund because he didn't like the paper one particular day.

June 8, 2008 at 7:23 PM 
Blogger Montco PA Dem said...

I find it interesting that we've heard from GG, who seems like he'll come around to at least supporting Obama, but there's been no public comment (that I'm aware of, and that includes emails from MCDC) endorsing Obama from Montco Democratic Chairman Marcel Groen.

Now Marcel was a huge Hillary supporter, in line with Rendell, Nutter, Sestak and the gang. And he also was very vocal about his dislike for Howard Dean and Dean's leadership of the DNC.

So I can understand that this might be a bitter (sorry) pill for him to swallow. But Marcel also was quick to say that we -- meaning Montco Democrats -- would all line up and enthusiastically help elect whoever won the nomination.

According to the article in the TH on Sunday, Joe Hoeffel is fired up for Obama.
I think it's important that we hear that from Marcel Groen, too.

June 9, 2008 at 11:54 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gordon,
What was that special name you were using to describe Obama-supporting Democrats earlier this year?

June 16, 2008 at 6:31 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why don't you just tell us, Joe?

June 20, 2008 at 7:51 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe the saying goes If you can't say something CONSTRUCTIVE say NOTHING!! Montco PA Dem and the last Anonymous needs to include this in their "Quote" Library.

June 27, 2008 at 10:21 AM 
Blogger Montco PA Dem said...

Anonymous Dude -- What are you talking about? And why are you posting on a month-old thread? Here is a very constructive piece of advice -- if you want to take part in online conversations, you're going to need to be a little quicker on the draw.

June 30, 2008 at 11:33 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MontcoPADem and others: It seems that Hoffel, Maggie Gibbons and a few Bloggers that are posting on a month-old thread, have not been able to get MCD Chairman all fired up. Now maybe Hoffel should fire off one of his letters that he has been noted for (it probably burned up before it left his desk) because Marcel Groen is not helping the Party get out the message.

July 2, 2008 at 10:51 AM 
Blogger Montco PA Dem said...

Anon 10:51 and the three or four other people who might possibly wander by and read this:

Marcel will have to wrap his head around the fact that the party is changing. It is changing nationally and it is changing right here in Montgomery County, and his top-down style is not going to work well in the future.

But in the short-term, it doesn't much matter what he does personally as far as Obama goes, because Obama is going to win big in SE PA regardless of what the party leadership does or doesn't do.

July 2, 2008 at 2:41 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MontcoPADem 6/2 - Sorry to hear that Marcel is not carring the banner as he is expected to do, especially for this election. Keep the faith - SE PA usually follows the Unions' endorsement - so on we go. I have never seen a letter "fired off", but it would be a sight to be seen - right?

July 3, 2008 at 9:57 AM 
Blogger Montco PA Dem said...

Anon 9:57: Are you starting your July 4th binge early? I have no idea what you are talking about or why you insist on doing it here.

SE PA follows what? Union endorsements? What planet do you live on? Do you have any idea what a tiny percentage of the SE PA population belongs to a union?

If union endorsements won elections, Curt Weldon would still be the PA-07 Congressman.

July 3, 2008 at 4:56 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I for one would like to know the number of registered voters that are Dem. in SEPA, that belong to a Union? There are quite a few in our Development that are members of various Unions and voted and campaigned for Sestak. Now, Marcel should also realize there are quite a few newcommers and switchers in the last few years and he really needs to get with the new Dem. Party. What about that Anonymous 7/3 - agree?

July 4, 2008 at 2:57 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anonymous you stated, July 4th, you would be interested to know how many Union Members in this local are Dems. Well, check with the various Unions here in Montgomery /Chester/Delaware/Bucks Counties, you can get an answer as to how many members they have on their rolls and the Company they are/were associated with now or retired from. Your Committee people will help you determine what party they are associated with now. This of course will give you a guess as to how many you can county on. A long shot.

July 12, 2008 at 10:16 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home