Blogs > Gordon: My Back Pages

Gordon Glantz is the managing editor of the Times Herald and an award winning columnist.

Friday, January 25, 2008

The Monster Mash

While my mother has won international competitions in creating empathy for herself, I have to feel a little bad for her right now.

She is in the adopted land of my people - Miami Beach - but is a bit of a second-class citizen.

"My son the managing editor" sounds OK. It's better than "my son the unemployed shoe salesman" or "my son the recovering meth addict."

But it pales in comparison to what she is surely hearing over early-bird dinners.

There is "my son the accountant" and "my son the lawyer."

And, at the top of the Kosher food chain ... "my son the doctor."

But I can send some solace her way.

I've come to realize that I am a doctor of sorts.

For this blog, forget my last name is Glantz.

It is Frankenstein ... Dr. Frankenstein.

Yes, I have created a monster.

It's name: Lisa Mossie.

I'm not saying Lisa looks or acts like a monster. She makes a nice appearance and is, by and large, a nice woman who works hard at her job and looks out for her family.

But get her behind a keyboard and she's downright frightful.

She has made it clear that her husband has politicized her and that I didn't "discover" her. Technically, that is correct. Columbus didn't "discover" America, either.

But, as I've written 10,001 times previously, I found her letters to the editor - mostly critical of yours truly - so entertaining that I offered her own column every other Thursday.

Her columns were so well-written that I offered her the chance to make it a weekly offering.

Since then, we've taken some cheap shots at one another - in print and on the air (Behind The Headlines is currently on hiatus as we retool, but it has nothing to do with the writers' strike) - but not let it get in the way of any kinship one columnist feels toward another.

And what I'm about to write isn't about lack of respect, because I still respect Lisa's point of view and will defend her right to express it. Moreover, being a writer-type, I think she is a heckuva writer.

The scary part is that she is so good at expressing it that some ideas many of us find downright offensive are so carefully worded they almost fail to register on the sensitivity meters she thinks should be unplugged across a nation already buried in narcissism.

Take, for example, her Jan. 24 column about what she believes to be the exploitation of Martin Luther King Jr.'s dream.

She took an overdue break from mentioning me by name, but it was clearly a response to my column on Jan. 20, which stated the dream has yet to be realized.

It is clear to me that Lisa is one of those right-wingers living in a self-imposed sheltered world and kidding herself that everything outside of it is A-OK.

Lisa is well-read, which comes out in her columns, but she leaves herself open because she reads selectively.

She and I do agree from time to time - like on Saudi Arabia and many quality of life issues - and one of those subjects is that issues of race should not be brushed with one broad stroke.

Lisa took a bold stance - one that rocked most in our newsroom, but not myself - on the Duke University rape scandal.

That's when a black exotic dancer accused members of the snow-white school's lacrosse team of gang rape.

Lisa saw early holes in the case and wrote about them in a column. She took some hits, defended her position and has ultimately been vindicated.

I know the feeling. It's a good one. Example: I get warm and fuzzy each time I look at the approval rating of President Lame Schmuck.

I never disagreed with Lisa on her stance on the Duke scandal, which was turned into a racial issue by a media frenzy when it was really the accusations of one woman who happened to be black.

But Lisa is now like one of those one-hit wonders from the 1970s - maybe Debbie Boone of "You Light Up My Life" infamy - who keeps going around trying to sing that same song, maybe to different arrangements, to anyone who'll listen.

Her recent attempt to fit her tired Duke argument into the situation in Jena, La., and then reach the conclusion that liberals need to grow up is nothing less than shameful.

Like she did when trying to support her flimsy case for Lee Harvey Oswald acting alone, she is taking bits and pieces of information and framing them out of context to paint a picture where anyone who defines a liberal - i.e. keeping an open mind - is a fool's fool.

It could be that she was so ostracized in the days when other kids called her Lisette in school that she doesn't realize that almost every major event that happens in a middle or high school - from every fistfight, catty remark in the girl's room, election of the homecoming court, etc. - is ultimately connected.

This is particularly true when you are talking about a small school in a small and isolated southern town where the working class whites live and pray apart from the destitute blacks.

Lisa wants us to believe that everything that happened in Jena - including initially charging the black kids who beat up the "poor innocent" white kid with attempted murder, as opposed to the rightful charge of assault - was much to do about nothing.

She decries the fact that it became fodder for those of us who know that King's dream remains in limbo, going so far as to say that he would be turning in his grave.

The only thing that turns with a statement like that are a bunch of stomachs.

Except that of my mother. She's thrilled. Her son is a doctor after all.

26 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You need to get out more...Lisa isn't the only person with great, not boring, writing skills...We appreciate her input on so many levels. Gordon take a trip out of town to see the whole new world that you are missing.

January 25, 2008 at 2:46 PM 
Blogger Lisa Mossie said...

Gordon, Gordon, Gordon. It’s not always all about you.

For the record, the subject matter of my column was decided prior to the publishing of your column on Sunday. See, there was the occasion of this little known national holiday called “Martin Luther King Day” on Monday and I thought the timing of such an article might be precipitous. That being said, I made a conscious decision to leave out the specific names of those to whom my comments were directed; people such as Reverend Al Sharpton and Reverend Jesse Jackson. And I would not be completely honest if I did not say that this was a decision designed specifically flush out those who may not otherwise recognize themselves if I had limited my comments to the scope of the previous two names. So, in other words, if the shoe fits…..

Now allow me to poke holes in the tissue paper thin fabric of your argument.

I never made the claim in my column that everything is “A-OK”. What I did say was that progress has been made. While you may be tired of my Duke argument, I am (and I daresay a large portion of the population is) quite exhausted by having the same arguments of the sixties being rehashed over and over again today as if the intervening half a century never occurred. Progress HAS been made. How far we have to go is where our differences lie. And like I said, I agree we need to have a “conversation” about race—I just don’t want to be bludgeoned over the head with the prevailing point of view from the left, which is that nothing has changed since the sixties. Which one of us is the closed-minded one?

And if I may be so bold as to belabor the point, but I was right about the Duke rape case early on, and I was the only one questioning the veracity of the Jena story—way back in the fall, when I took on not only you, but Stan as well on a “Behind the Headlines” show. The story has never passed a “gut check” with me and I’ve never gone wrong being suspicious of anything Al Sharpton has been involved with. Indeed, if anyone can name a race related incident that Al Sharpton has been associated with that has turned out to be 100% verifiable, I will gladly apologize.

The ONLY point of view that has been presented in the Jena case is the one that has been promoted by you and the mainsteam media—that is the vision of black oppression in the Jim Crow south. I am simply bringing to light another point of view on this subject that has been largely ignored by the nation—because it doesn’t fit in with the media’s leftist worldview. Now how can you possibly make the claim that I am only reading one side of the story, when the side of the story I am presenting is one that has been largely ignored? EVERYONE knows your side of the story which is why I felt it was so important to post the links to my sources.

I do not doubt that you have the best of intentions where race relations are concerned. Indeed, I know this is an issue that is very close to your heart. And believe it or not, I believe we would promote a common goal, which is complete color blindness in the world. I just think your methods, and the methods of those in your “camp” move us in the wrong direction. I find that granting victim status based solely on the color of one’s skin (or gender, or beliefs, etc.) is counterproductive, divisive, insulting and demeaning to those it seeks to classify. It marginalizes a whole group of people because in effect, you are telling them that they need you to fight for them and their rights. Conversely I also believe that assuming that someone is prejudiced based upon the color of their skin (or social standing or whatever) is in and of itself a form of prejudice. The code word for this is “undercurrent of racism”.

It is no secret that people tend to home within their own racial groups. This is not racism on either side. I myself have friends of all races, creeds, religions and political convictions, but I don’t choose my friends based on these issues in order to fill some sort of prescribed rainbow of required diversity; Diversity is not a value or a virtue, but character is. Dr. King understood this implicitly and I believe that the culture wars or the race wars or whatever you want to call them have hijacked Dr. King’s message of character and placed that secondary to color. This is a step in the wrong direction

Finally, if six teenagers were repeatedly kicking and stomping on the head of my child, or your child, I would hope that the race of those involved would be the last concern of the Prosecution team. Sometimes a crime is just a crime and race has nothing to do with it.

For those that missed it, I am reposting the links to my reference articles below:
Charlotte Allen’s article can be found at: http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/014/589bfhgz.asp.
Craig Franklin’s article can be found at: http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/1024/p09s01-coop.html?page=1.
Alan Bean’s narrative on the Jena 6 can be found at: http://friendsofjustice.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/responding_to_the_crisis_in_jena1.doc

January 26, 2008 at 9:54 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lisa. Go to the local bar and ask the bartender to pour you a dose of reality in a shot glass. Or just walk a mile in my shoes as a black man. Or in Mr. Glantz's as a Jewish American. Then talk to us.
I do disagree with Gord on 1 major point. I'm not impressed with your writing skills whatsoever.

January 26, 2008 at 2:08 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lisa, you have to get more concise.

I stopped reading your rebuttal halfway thru.

January 26, 2008 at 8:20 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Real quick, Lisa. I have to get back to watching TV to see 24 hour coverage of whatever WHITE girl is missing now.
I just wanted to say God Bless both Americas!

January 26, 2008 at 8:39 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There must be two Americas. In mine the tube had nothing but all Obama all the time on Saturday night!

January 27, 2008 at 7:12 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've read gordon and lisa going back and forth in print and I seen it on the television. It is clear there is something going on there. There is so much sexual tension in the air that you can cut in with a plastic knife. I think we should take up a collection, go into Stan Huskey's pockets for the difference and rent them a room with a water bed and a mirror on the ceiling. Let them work it out and leave the rest of us out of it already!

January 27, 2008 at 9:48 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let's stop being so stupid and ignorant and stick to the issue at hand. Racism is alive and well. Some people don't want to see because it makes them uncomfortable.

January 27, 2008 at 3:27 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

can't we all just get along?

January 27, 2008 at 5:57 PM 
Blogger Lisa Mossie said...

Wow. From the level of responses on this blog, clearly my conconclusions about the readiness for a "conversation" were dead on.

So here's one for the short attention span theater: Please explain how the perpetuation of a false story about a hate crime advances the cause of racial equality.

January 28, 2008 at 3:24 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A conversation with the likes of you? Spare us your time and effort, Ms. Mossie!

January 28, 2008 at 11:42 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm really concerned with Gordon's attack on Lisa's thoughts, that are in print form, on any subject. If you do not like what she has to say, then don't read her column. I personally do like to read various versions on all subjects. It is not up to Gordon to decide if her version is correct ... it is food for thought that only we the public, that read the Times Herald, should decide. Isn't that why we buy/read newspapers/books??

January 29, 2008 at 7:59 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have it backwards. It is is Lisa who constantly attacks Gordon's thoughts and he finally got fed up and wrote this blog that all of this started.

January 29, 2008 at 8:42 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd like to know who exactly has said that nothing has changed since the 60's?

Was the white supremacist march in Jena on MLK Day unrelated too? Or what about the website that the FBI said practically called for the lynching of the families of the Jena 6? Or the copycat noose hangings after the incidents in Jena became publicized?

Oh, and the kids who hung the nooses couldn't be charged with a hate crime because they were juveniles, so says the US Attorney investigating the case. So this is not a fake hate crime story. It would only be fake if the nooses were never there.

January 30, 2008 at 4:14 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lisa likes to block all of that out. She's a dutiful conservative!

January 31, 2008 at 5:22 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How many comments to "The Monster Mash"??? As of today it reached a total of 15. This is the only topic since you started to Blog that sparked an interest and who keeps it going??? Yes...LISA She has her own Blog...check it out...she is good.

January 31, 2008 at 8:05 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lisa evokes such a negative reaction from sane-minded people. That's why there are so many responses to her response to Gordon's response, which was to her response.

February 1, 2008 at 10:09 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Touchet, Iris!
It's not about Lisa being a good, bad or indifferent writer. It's about her being an indifferent white person on the subject of race in our nation.

February 1, 2008 at 12:09 PM 
Blogger Lisa Mossie said...

As always, I am in amazement at the display of complete closed-mindedness when someone dares to question even a tiny little part of the left's dearly held sacred tenants. Obviously, it's easier to just label the questioner a bigot than to actually have to think about something in a different way.

Eight comments since my last one, and all we're still talking about is me.

Not one person has even attempted to address the question: How does the perpetuation of a false story about a hate crime advance the cause of racial equality?

February 1, 2008 at 3:23 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lisa,

An African-American student in Jena asked the principal at an assembly if all students could sit under a tree where white students usually sat. The principal said yes. The next day a noose was hanging from a tree. Do you agree that that much happened.

Take care,

Tom

February 1, 2008 at 5:12 PM 
Blogger Lisa Mossie said...

Tom,

That's not exactly how it went down. I've offered links to two separate accounts to these events, one of which is by the editor of the local paper who carried stories about each of these events as they occured. My position is clearly stated above and in my original article; my sources are clearly referenced and linked. Frankly, I've done all the legwork I'm going to here. Read my source material, re-read my column, then answer the question I posed above.

I don't mind telling you I'm quite disappointed by the level of debate that has occured on this page. If I were a lefty, I'd really be depressed.

February 1, 2008 at 5:28 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lisa,

I agree with you that some of the comments here are disappointing. I'll go back and double check but I believe what I said in my comment here is accurate.

Tom

February 2, 2008 at 5:02 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't we all just get along?

February 2, 2008 at 8:05 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lisa, speaking of source material, I think you missed something that may have bolstered your case that Jena is a Utopian society. The Klan has a killer of a Web site. If you don't already have it bookmarked for yourself, check it out.

February 2, 2008 at 8:18 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No one can answer a false premise, Lisa. The nooses were hung and black kids were prosecuted much more harshly for a similar crime committed by white kids. It's only a false story if these things didn't happen.

February 2, 2008 at 2:15 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gordon watches the Wire.
Lisa watches Lost.
Gordon lives in reality.
Lisa in a fantasy.
You can tell a lot about people by the ways they choose to entertain themselves.

February 2, 2008 at 7:56 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home